Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 44

Yay! I remembered about Philidelphia cream cheese.... it comes in a foil block in a cardboard box. So yesterday I bought some and made yum creamy tomato pasta. It has made my week to find a dairy product that is not in plastic!
And.. the package design is brilliant. They have used all faces, including the inside of the box for handy hints and recipes, so I guess you could even keep them filed on your recipe shelf for future reference. Mmmm cream cheese.

I can't believe we are almost halfway. It is definitely becoming second nature - both of us (separately) bought TimTams as a gift for overseas relatives and then we were talking about it today how we both felt like we were being really naughty and wrong by buying something in plastic. So this makes me wonder if after the challenge will we be riddled with eco-guilt every time we pick up a plastic product, knowing that we haved lived without them and that there is most likely a better alternative..??

I definitely want other people to try this, even for a week? If you decide to, let me know how it goes.

More photos soon :)

3 comments:

  1. I will try it when Mike and I have our own place! Right now we are sharing groceries with others so its would be twice as difficult, but I think its a really cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you recycle foil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup foil is recyclable. Although I am not sure whether it is recycled in Dunedin. And aluminum is the 3rd most abundant resource in the world, so much better than using up all the oil.
    Working out which materials to go for can be tricky since there are so many things to consider!

    ReplyDelete